Thursday 3 March 2011

Let Them Eat Cake

Like most people I started the New Year with a diet.  However, my enthusiasm has been low of late but watching the last episode of 'Britain's Biggest Loser' on Monday evening has given me a much needed kick up my large backside.  This means no biscuits or cake.  Which is a real shame, I love cake, but if I can't eat it I thought a little indulgence here would be a good idea.  So help yourself  to a slice.......




Cakes always play an important part in celebrations whether it's a birthday, christening or wedding.  From an early age we delight in the ritual that goes with birthday cakes from blowing out the candles to carrying a sweet slice home carefully wrapped in kitchen paper at the end of a party.  To all of us cake evokes memories of happy occasions, parties and special moments.  Even your everyday cup of coffee can be transformed into a moment of bliss when it is accompanied by a beautiful cupcake.   At my youngest daughter's Christening we had a beautiful cake made to look like Noah's Ark by www.richardscakes.co.uk It had cute animals popping their heads out the windows and a giraffe coming out of the roof.  When we think about that special day we always think of that gorgeous cake.

The whole point about cake is that it is something special to be enjoyed.  For me, when a cake is being served I secretly hope for an end or corner piece as these come with extra icing and topping. Whereas some people opt for a small slice and then pull off the icing and just eat the sponge.  I understand that from a 'weight' point of view this may be better but, to me this is just plain wrong.  It's a bit like saying you will do a Sky Dive....then proceeding to jump off a small chair.  You miss the point of the whole experience entirely!!

For me cake is just heaven on a plate and here are a few more of my favourite 'angels' doing amazing things with butter and sugar.............

www.jellytotsanddollymixtures.co.uk
www.alice-rose.co.uk
www.cakesbybeth.co.uk
www.vanillacakeshop.co.uk
www.sweettoothcupcakery.co.uk

Image credits from top left a beautiful Peggy Porschen Cake, Cupcakes large and small from the Hummingbird Bakery, A Marks & Spencer cake dressed with flowers by Rosa and Co., Ian Stuart Bridal Gown from his Revolution Rocks collection, More cupcakes from the Hummingbird Bakery, A Richards Cake dressed with flowers by Rosa and Co., Tiered cupcakes from the Hummingbird Bakery (Bespoke Collection)

No comments:

Post a Comment